Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Update on Samuel

Here is an exerpt from Renee's blog post at www.butbygraceitcouldbeme.com

"So, after yesterday's post, I am happy to say that although we don't have any firm commitments, the interest in Sam was sufficient enough that we all agreed, we are likely to find him a family. So, this afternoon, I went and met with him. Please, go ahead and get your tissues ready, ok?

I love this kid- seriously. I love all of them- I wish I could just take the 70 or so we see all the time and move them all to the East Coast to live with us. But they don't need a new orphanage in a new city- they need families who cherish each one.

Sam- bless his amazing heart- hugged me no less than half a dozen times. He begged our facilitator to not forget him- he asked her if we were coming back (for him)- he cannot believe anyone else would want him, but for some reason, he knows we love kids and disabilities don't matter. The psychologist was stunned that we were asking about him, because he was so old, then she cried.

See, Sam came to her a couple of months ago- he needed an adult friend, one to talk to, one to hear him. He shared his heart- that he is very sad, that he is almost too old for the orphanage, and he doesn't have a family. No one wants him. He feels broken, like no one understands him and appreciates him like a family should.

He said he has no one special for him to say "I love you" and "I believe in you" and "I will help you". And because of that, he was very sad.

So they prayed- she said Sam's faith is very strong and he wants to be somewhere where it can grow bigger. They prayed he would have someone, maybe even a family, knowing there was no feasible way it would happen.

Ready for the Godbumps (goosebumps from heaven!)? That all happened a couple of months ago- right around the time we got confirmation from God that we were moving ahead with Emma's adoption.

So we arrive- and suddenly an English teacher wants us, random adoptive parents with redneck accents who have no business teaching anyone how to say anything other than "ain't" and "ya'll", to come in and present to her class.

And we met Sam.

Because God knew, and God ordained, and I'm so amazed each time He moves.

Sam's waiting on his family. I officially appointed him captain of the soccer team at Orphanage 39 today- made him in charge of researching wheelchair soccer for his friends and teaching them how to play with the ball we gave him today.

I promised I wouldn't forget him.

He asked for someone to come get him.

Yes, Sam wants to be adopted. He wants it with every fiber of his being. He wants a Christian family, one that will let him Skype with his friends at the orphanage and his two friends already adopted into the US. He wants a family to help him further develop his soccer skills and who will tell him they love him and he belongs to them.

If you are serious about him- let's get this moving. If you don't know what to do, email me and I'll help you.

______________________________________________________

As we were leaving upstairs, kids started to approach. "was this our last day here?" We said yes, and they frowned. And looked panicked. And then started asking our facilitator and the psychologist in rapid Russian a bunch of questions.

They want to know if there are families for them too.

"They like us- they will try hard to be very good and obedient kids- they will practice their English-"

They said so much- everything they could think of to try to persuade us to take their picture like we did Sam's, to help find them a family.

So I didn't say no. I said yes. I took their pictures, and am going to list at least one more boy in addition to Sam tomorrow. And as the kids listed at 39 get adopted, the psychologist and director and I are going to work together using the facilitator as the translator, to help list the rest of the kids I met."

No comments:

Post a Comment